Saturday, September 17, 2011

Kick It

Have you seen Jean-Claude Van Damme's "Kickboxer" movie? If so, I'm pretty sure you'd witness various kicks and stunts that weren't just scary; but had left you breathless as well. The movie was inspired by the game style and techniques of the kick boxing sport.

Photo Courtesy: Google Images
For the first time in my stay here, I tasted the heart-pumping feeling when I unexpectedly saw a live kick boxing game that is so popular in Thailand. Jump kick, steep-up kick, spinning heel kick, and straight kicks were everywhere around the ring. Seems like they love to kick each other... lol...

Photo Courtesy: Ann &Yen
 I was with some of my close friends doing mid-night shopping in a festival like celebration that they held and were moving every corner just to see what's in it and decided not to missed anything. We were there and so we decided to take all the fun out of it...

"Muay Thai Kick Boxing" is Thailand's national sport. A combat sport that uses stand-up striking along with various clinching techniques. It is popularly known as the "Art of Eight Limbs" because it makes use of punches, kicks, elbows and knees strike, thus using the eight point of contact .  A practitioner of Muay Thai is known as "Nak Muay", so it's "Nak Muay Farang" when referring to foreign kick boxer.

Photo Courtesy: Ann & Yen
Wasn't able to make a good shot of the action due to the congested areas around the ring. But I got lucky doing my ambushed interview to the reigning champ. His name is "Pi Daeng"; and to be honest, I wasnt really sure what to say and how to pronounce his name. Good thing I was with my two buddies who were good in starting up a conversation in Thai. Pi Daeng later on narrated how he started his amateur campaign and what encouraged him to continue his relentless quest. He said it was a matter of conditioning oneself and being focus; and of course, being goal oriented. Wow...

Photo Courtesy: Ann & Yen
The night had been full of surprises. We enjoyed breathing the fresh air and the lively yet furious fights.


Almost forgot... Kudos Mr. kickboxer!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment